Sunday, November 22, 2009

INTERVIEW Robert Pattinson On New Moon: 'You Get A Lot Of Nipple Shots!' The world's favourite vampire talks about music, being trapped in hotel rooms




The pressure from the ‘Twi-hards’ must be much less now, because they clearly all love you?

Robert Pattinson: “There’s never been any pressure from anywhere I don’t think. Other than right from the very beginning, before the first film came out. I think they like being part of ‘the club’ as well, they kind of mobilise against the people who criticise the whole series. They like it being ‘their thing’, so they’re very supportive of anything to do with ‘Twilight’.”

Is your life as ‘trapped’ as the media makes out? Do you constantly hide out in hotel rooms?

RP: “No, it’s funny because in these interviews I never have a tremendous amount of foresight. So I end up describing my day rather than the surrounding months to it. So when we did that interview (for Vanity Fair) I was kind of trapped in my hotel room, but there’s always ways, there’s always places where you can disappear to. It just involves a little more thought, I can’t just wander around will-nilly. It’s such a novelty to me still, I mean if I’m still stuck in hotel rooms in tens years and I haven’t figured out any other way to deal with it other than hiding, it probably would annoy me a little bit. But if you’re just working the whole time you don’t even think about it. I guess I’ll see what it’s really like in the next two or three years.”

You’re very interested in music, is an album on the cards?

RP: “I do miss it. That’s why I haven’t done any gigs or released anything- it does set your standards higher, because you have to eclipse this massive thing! You’ve got to be winning Grammys and stuff before you do another open mic night.”

Is there anything ‘normal’ you miss doing since becoming famous?

RP: “Um… I never really did much in the first place (laughs)! When your working it doesn’t matter what your status is outside of the job, you’re waking up at five thirty and too tired to doing anything when you get home, you just want to go to bed. It doesn’t make any difference really, what’s happening outside of the hotel. I guess I miss open mic nights. I miss driving- I never owned a car in London, I only got a car in LA last summer, so I only ever had three months’ driving without having ten cars following you. I’m too scared to drive now!”

Finally, you take your shirt off a lot in this film, how did you get in shape for the topless scenes?

RP: “You get a lot of nipple shots in this movie! I hadn’t worked out at all until I saw Taylor at the beginning of the year, it was quite good for the movie as I felt very inadequate next to him!”

No comments: