Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Interview: Robert Pattinson Talks Eclipse, Breaking Dawn, and More

The Twilight star dishes on his co-stars, obsessed fans, and the future of the franchise.
For the third installment of my four interviews with the cast and filmmakers of Eclipse, the third movie in The Twilight Saga, I sat down with Robert Pattinson to discuss his role as Bella's jealous vampire boyfriend, Edward Cullen, and the future of the franchise. He's always been a spacey interview, prone to very un-Hollywood answers, and he didn't disappoint.
Cole Haddon: First question: What part of your costume helps you transform into the character of Edward Cullen quickest?
Robert Pattinson: Probably the contact lenses, because it makes me miserable as soon as I put them in. That's what creates sort of the pouting and brooding character. You're just like, "Ugh!"
CH: There's a lot more action in Eclipse. Did you have to prepare any differently for that?
RP: I guess I had to learn how to run properly. In the last two, I've always run with a kind of limp-skip, and I had to sort of look like I could run more solidly this time. So I spent a lot of time on a giant treadmill, like one of those wheels mice run around, and got filmed doing it to improve my form. I guess that was one of the big things.
CH: Edward is considered a romantic hero, but he's also very possessive. Not exactly a positive trait. Three movies out of five into the series, how do you feel about that, and has Edward changed much since Eclipse?
RP: Yeah, I mean in the first two movies, earlier on in the story, were just caused by his desolation from reality. So when he finds one thing to hold on to, that's where the possessiveness comes from. I think as the series goes on, he accepts more and more that he's part of the contemporary world. I think all the things that were deemed to be flawed before start fading away. I mean, that's how I'm trying to play him. I think he's coming out of his shell a little bit inEclipse, so hopefully by the end of Breaking Dawn, I'm hoping he'll be basically a normal 17-year-old guy. Just a little bit pale.
CH: Are you excited about where the character goes in Breaking Dawnthen?
RP: I haven't read it yet! I mean, it's weird to do because I'm starting it a month after this job and it's something I'm quite glad I haven't read yet. I didn't intend to not read it until now, but it's quite exciting. I have no idea. I just heard brief rumors about what happens in the story, but I don't really know what happens at all.
CH: You got to work more closely with Taylor Lautner this time around, who plays the stalker-ish werewolf Jacob. How was that?
RP: Yeah, it was good in this one because I never do anything with anyone else, apart from Kristen [Stewart, who plays Bella Swan] in the other two. I mean, brief things, but it's kind of part of how I was answering the other question. Letting Edward have petty emotions like being jealous of Jacob and not being able to control himself around him because he gets under his skin so much, it became much easier to play, a much bigger scope of emotion to play as soon as you let someone else get through your armor. So doing that with Taylor was great. He's really good, too.
CH: Talk about working with Kristen. You both strike me as very serious actors, so how do you prepare for your scenes together? Do you sit down and nitpick everything, or do you just prefer to get to set and see what happens?
RP: I do [nitpick] because I, for some reason, I can't understand anything, and I think I'm going really in depth with the character, when it just seems so obvious to Kristen. Her mind works completely differently. She can just feel things immediately, and I'll kind of, I don't know, I like to be much more cerebral about things, in completely the opposite way to Kristen. I don't feel confident unless I know more about the reasons why I'm doing things. I don't really do that for other parts, so I guess that's what I do for Edward. But I always, since the first one, like to go in depth about things.

No comments: