Sunday, July 11, 2010

Robert Pattinson: ‘In my next film, I screw over women… Edward wouldn’t approve’

He plays the vampire every girl wants to be bitten by – so it was our duty (and a hard one at that) to grill the 24-year-old over whether he’s anything like the gorgeous Edward Cullen, being mobbed, and believing in fate…

Robert Pattinson appears a little befuddled. The Twilight heart-throb has come straight from a night-shoot on the movie he’s filming, Water For Elephants, into our interview. In real life, Rob couldn’t be further removed from the character he plays in the Twilight saga, Edward Cullen. He’s warm, funny, and, in sharp contrast to Edward, very relaxed. There are no pouts and fiery-eyed stares from Pattinson. He and co-star Kristen Stewart will not discuss their off-screen relationship, despite ’jokingly’ stealing a kiss on stage at the MTV Movie Awards in June, but he’s happy to talk about anything else, from the serious to the trivial. Clearly, he was not built for superstardom – he finds the interview process awkward – but he’s loosened up since his early pre-Twilight interviews and luckily he’s not cursed with an A-lister’s ego. Dressed in jeans and white shirt, his famously wild hair neatly cropped, he settles down for a natter about life…
Have your mates ever called you Edward by mistake?People have called me Edward – not family, that would be weird! My mates might have done it to rib me. They don’t really know about Twilight, but some of them found out about this R-Pattz thing, so now one of them always calls me R-Pattz, which he thinks is hilarious.
Edward can read thoughts. If we could hear your thoughts, what would they sound like?Complete silence, dust blowing in the wind. Or maybe just like white noise…

What aspects of Edward do you most identify with?It’s changed a bit in this film. In the first two, I guess there was his feeling that you can’t relate to anyone, or no one can relate to you. I was like, ’I never want to talk to anyone’. I used to feel like that when I was younger. I’ve grown up now.
Are you a traditionalist, like Edward?It is quite pronounced in the movie, and I respect that, but when I work on other films, I want to play really amoral characters. I don’t feel like I have to stand by his values, but I respect them. I guess courtship is a good thing, but only if it’s pleasurable. Some people meet each other in a bar and sleep with each other that night, then stay with each other for the rest of their lives. Or they could stay with each other and never get married. It just doesn’t make any difference.
You definitely play an amoral character in your next film, Bel Ami.Yes. There’s something fun about Bel Ami, going from Edward to some guy who pretty much abuses women to get money out of them. Edward so wouldn’t approve – and I thought that was a funny irony. In Bel Ami all the women my character screws over are all attracted to him to begin with, so he starts having affairs with them and destroys their lives.


Read more: http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/celebs-on-sunday/2010/07/11/robert-pattinson-in-my-next-film-i-screw-over-women-edward-wouldn-t-approve-115875-22388248/#ixzz0tMLnEuZj
Get your free copy of the new Prince album 20TEN exclusive with the Daily Mirror on Saturday 10 July Free Prince 20TEN



No comments: